Snag my FREE 2022 Social Media Content Roadmap

Here’s what you get:

  • A totally FREE 12 month calendar FULL of ideas for what to post.
  • Monthly bonus templates sent straight to your inbox (who doesn’t love fill-in-the-blank social media posts?!)
  • A one-time FREE 15 minute content brainstorming session with me! If you’re ready to go from 🤬 to 😍 with your social media posts, drop in your deets and I’ll send you the template right away!

I respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time. I send weekly social media and digital marketing tips for small business owners, you can opt-out at any time, but I hope you stay :)

Well hello! Let’s talk about social media mistakes shall we? Is that even a thing anymore? With so much happening every day online, what is a mistake and what isn’t? I almost think at this point it can be subjective, but let’s go for it.

Social media has become an essential tool for promoting your business, running marketing campaigns and even providing customer service. With the speed at which social media networks and their features change and adapt, it can be really easy to get caught up in making some simple mistakes that might actually be a really big deal. 

Social Media Marketing Mistake #1

Starting without a clear strategy or goals

This goes for any small business owner (or medium and large businesses too!)…

Posting consistently and creating a strategy as you go is totally ok, but at some point, you need to take a step back and evaluate. You need to look at what’s doing well and what’s not. Your goals and strategy do not need to be complicated, you just have to have SOMETHING down on paper (or online) that informs your direction. 

It’s easy to say ‘my goal is to increase followers’… but increase followers for what? If it’s just a matter of ‘looking legitimate’ then followers might be enough for you. But if you’re looking at actually building your business, you might want to consider other things like:

  • Turning followers into email subscribers so that I can communicate with them more often, or
  • Engage in conversations via direct message with current followers

Make sure your strategy comes with actionable tactics and not just ‘fluff’. Nobody wants fluff… unless it’s that marshmallow fluff stuff, in which case, yes… sign me up, that stuff is delicious!

Social Media Marketing Mistake #2

Posting about business and only business all of the time

I know how hard it is to come up with good content consistently but posting business related content and links on social media all of the time might hurt your hard earned good social media standing and brand authority. Nobody wants to be spammed by a company, especially on social media. So what do you do to avoid it? You may want to follow the 80-20 rule. You have probably heard about it – It just means that 80% of your posts should be related to your business and educational or fun content, but NOT selling. For example, sharing some behind the scenes, lifestyle or stories, etc. in 80% of your posts and then the remaining 20% can be actual ‘here’s my service and here’s how you work with me’.  Your goal should be to use social media to engage and make relationships. Your email list and website can do the selling. 

This doesn’t mean you can’t actually make sales on social media, because you can. But if that is your primary goal, you might not seem very authentic to a lot of people online and they might steer clear. 

Social Media Marketing Mistake #3

Engaging in conversations that are political or divisive

Ok this one might be a little tough for a lot of people, and I know there are MANY who do not agree with me on this one right now (today is Aug 26 2021 and social media is like a minefield of debates about vaccines, govt regulations, etc. so this is top of mind for me). I believe that you can use your personal profiles to voice concern or start conversations about things that mean a lot to you, but I would caution you against using your business profiles to do this because you risk dividing your audience and creating an environment that doesn’t feel inclusive. If you are a public figure or it’s known what business you represent, then personally I wouldn’t share a lot about controversial views on your personal profiles either. It can feel icky and turn people off. What I will say is… you do you, and you do what’s best for your own mental health and for your business, but be aware of what outward opinions can do to your business social media channels. 

It’s certainly a tricky time for small businesses both on and off social media. I, for one, am so tired of the bad, the ugly, and the negative. I’m ready to keep lifting people up. I’m ready for kindness. I’m ready to support small businesses however I can 🙂 I hope to see you doing the same online!

Cheers,

Brittany